top of page


                                                                                   ELDER ABUSE





                                                                                  REMEMBER OUR MOTTO 





















Elder abuse is when someone harms or neglects a person age 60 or older. It can happen to anyone. It can come from a caregiver, a family member, or a neighbor. It can take place in the older person’s home, the home of a relative, or in an assisted living or nursing facility. Older people living with abuse may be afraid or embarrassed to talk about it. But if you keep your eyes open and know what to look for, you can help make sure your friends and loved ones stay safe.


Types of Elder Abuse

It can happen in different ways as described below in more detail.


Physical abuse is any action that causes injury or bodily harm. It can include hitting, shoving, kicking, or burning an older person, tying him to a bed or wheelchair, locking him in a room, or giving him drugs his doctor hasn’t prescribed.

Often this kind of abuse shows up as visible injuries. But there may be other signals, including:

  • Unexplained  burns, cuts, bruises, and bleeding

  • Sprained or broken bones

  • Injuries that happen over and over

  • The person doesn’t want to see a doctor about his wounds


Sexual abuse is when an older person is forced to have sexual contact with another person. It can range from making the person watch pornography or take off his clothes to inappropriate touching and rape.

There may be physical signs as well as those you can’t see. They include:

  • Torn or bloody clothes, especially underwear

  • Sexually transmitted diseases  

  • Bruises, especially on both sides of the body or around the breasts or genitals

  • Bleeding from the vagina or bottom


Psychological abuse is any action that hurts a person emotionally. It can happen when someone threatens him, yells at him, calls him names or talks down to him, ignore him over and over, and controls what he does, whom he sees, and where he goes. 


Watch for signs of this kind of abuse in your loved one’s actions or his relationships with you and others. He might:

  • Act withdrawn or frightened

  • Have changes in his behavior that you can’t explain

  • Rock back and forth, suck or mumble to himself

  • Be depressed, confused, or lose interest in things he enjoyed

  • Have trouble sleeping


Financial abuse is when an older person's money or property are threatened. Someone might use his credit cards or bank accounts without his permission, forge signatures, or force him to change a legal document like a will or power of attorney. It can also include charging too much for home repair or medical care or billing for a service that he never received. People or groups who ask for donations for fake charities are also doing this.


Signs may include:

  • Withdrawals from bank accounts that your loved one can’t explain

  • A new "friend" who may be taking financial advantage of him

  • Legal documents that have been changed or disappeared

  • Missing financial statements

  • Unpaid bills, utilities that are shut off, or threats of eviction

  • Signatures that seem to be forged



























Neglect happens when caregivers don’t tend to an older person’s needs. It can mean not giving him enough food, water, clothing, housing, and medications or not helping him bathe, dress, or pay the bills. Abandoning the person completely is also a type of abuse. Sometimes a caregiver knows he’s neglecting the person, but others may not know they’re doing anything wrong. If an older person isn’t getting the care he needs, you may notice:



  • He’s messy or unclean. He might have dirty clothes, unkempt hair, or skin rashes.

  • He loses weight suddenly or isn’t hungry anymore.

  • Bedsores

  • Missing or broken dentures, eyeglasses, hearing aids, or walkers


What You Can Do

If you see any of these signs in a loved one, friend, or neighbor, speak up right away. It could save a person’s life.

There are groups that can step in to help older people who are in danger. First, try talking privately with the person you suspect is in trouble. You can start by saying you think something is wrong and you want to help. If he won't answer your questions, it’s possible that he is being abused. If he tells you someone’s hurting him or you suspect he’s in immediate danger, call 911/999 or your local Police Department and Department of Protection for Seniors.


If the problem isn’t urgent, contact Adult Protective Services in the state where he lives. You don’t need proof of the abuse to make the call. The agency will send someone to the person's home to check out the report and, if necessary, take steps to make sure he’s safe. There are also national, state, and local agencies that can help older people with emotional, legal, and financial problems.

Elder Abuse 5.png
definitiion elder abuse.jpg
bottom of page